Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ESL 5 Lit: An hour in my life story...

An hour in my life story:
·        Write a story based on an event that occurred in your life that lasted about an hour.
·        EXAMPLES:
o    Getting your license
o   Meeting someone important or special to you for the first time
o   Your first hour visiting your home country after living in the USA
o   The last hour on the last day of school
o   An hour at your new job
o   The last sports game you played
o   The first or last hour of a great party
o   The first or last hour of a family event
o   Your first kiss
o   The first time you asked someone to be your B.F. or G.F. or the first time you were asked to be someone’s B.F. or G.F.
·        Be creative in your descriptions
·        Use figurative language
·         poetic license
·        Borrow ideas from things you have studied or read(Literary Terms)
·        Follow a plot sequence
·        Use dialogue
Example:
                      An Hour In My Life: Waiting To Take My Driver's Test
                                                        By: B. Avila
            149…the number I waited to see on the red number pad.  149…the number on the small, square ticket that I held in my hand as if life depended on it, 149…my turn, my opportunity for freedom.  75…the number the lady called flashed red on the number pad, torturing me; I had a long way to wait before it was my turn to take my driver’s test.  I had waited 17 years of my life for this moment.  I passed the written exam and now came the true moment, the final step to have my license.  “Is it possible, can I finally drive a car on my own?” I asked myself as I saw number 76 flash on the red number pad, one more number closer to my turn.  I don’t know what was worst.  The waiting or the fact that the small-compact car I had practiced with from the driving school was not available for the test and now I had to take the test in my mom’s long and large station wagon.  I knew I had not practice in a car so big. “Could I park it?”, that was the question that kept rolling over in my mind.  80...”What?”  I am getting closer.  I still had time to go over in my mind everything I knew, the K-turn, the traffic signals, the seat-belt, the U-turn, changing lanes….I knew it all and was confident. However, there was one thing that haunted me, the one thing that can ruin my dream.  PARALLEL PARKING!  I was horrible at PARALLEL PARKING!  I practice over and over in the small compact car and I always bumped into the other parked cars or ended up with my car on the side-walk.  The realization of this fact sent a cold shock to my brain as if a sudden blizzard took over my thoughts.  Then it hit me, THE STATION WAGOON! Panic rushed to my thoughts with the realization that the station wagon was twice as big and I had not practiced parallel parking that enormous dinosaur.   How could I possibly park the beast?  145…”What?!”  It’s almost my turn and I just realized I cannot do this…there is no way I can park the brown monster.  147…NOOOOOOO!  I screamed inside of my head, crushing the small ticket with the number 149 written on it as if by crushing it I could end the torture.  “149, 149…” said the lady in a robotic voice.  That was it, I could not turn back now…I walked up to the window handed my ticket and off I went to meet my destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment