Thursday, October 21, 2010

ESL5 Themes: Poor Visitor / Figurative Language

The last few days we have been reading “Poor Visitor” by Jamaica Kincaid. 
Read the following passage from the story several times.  Use what we learned about figurative language to help you understand what you read…
 “But I did not know that the sun could shine and the air remain cold; no one had ever told me.  What a feeling that was!  How can I explain?  Something I had always known – the way I know my skin was the color brown of nut rubbed repeatedly with a soft cloth, or the way I know my own name- something I took completely for granted, “the sun is shining, the air is warm”, was not so.”  By: Jamaica Kincaid
Question: What does Jamaica Kincaid mean when she states “Something I had always known…was not so”?  Explain in your own words.
Make sure to write your explanation on a piece of paper and hand it in tomorrow!!!

©Brenda Avila

No comments:

Post a Comment