Wednesday, March 9, 2011

ESL 2 Essay Contest Winner: Jessica Juliana Bedoya Hernandez

After months of hard work and learning how to write paragraphs and essays, Ms. Avila’s ESL 2 classes had a competition to see which student could write a good autobiography.  For most of the students this was the first time they wrote a full autobiographical essay in English.  It was a hard decision, many great autobiographies were written, but Jessica’s organization of ideas, use of transitions, explanations, and figurative language won her the title of the best autobiography from all the ESL 2 classes.  Congratulations Jessica for your hard work!!
___________________________________________________________
My life in the United States

By: Jessica Juliana Bedoya Hernandez
Coming to America was like opening a door to a new paradise; I had to accept the challenge of living in America. Also, when I stared school at WOHS, I was feeling very anxious and exited at the same time because many people were helping me and that made me feel like I am at home. Additionally, living in America was like trying to discover a new world, with new people that I had never seen before in my life, like Chinese people. Furthermore, this new paradise, offers me new opportunities to have a better life in America.
When I came to America I stared school at WOHS. My first day in the school I had to take some tests and then I had to follow Maria, I became her shadow. Also, I remember having to take the bus by myself for the first time.  I remember that I needed help because I was lost and a new friend, Gabriela, she helped me to find my  bus, when I was in the bus I felt more relaxed because I met Anna and she told me that she lives next to my new home.  By the end of the day I made several friends.  Moreover, I had to accept a lot of challenges like I have to adapt to all my new classes and learn how to find them. In Colombia we don’t have the same schedule like an American school.  Back home, we stayed in the same classroom all day, the teachers moved from classroom to classroom, not the students and school closed at 1:30 P.M., not 2:30 like WOHS.  All of this was new and I accepted to learn about my new life.
Living in America is like being born again, because I stared a new life. Furthermore, my first day in the USA I felt very, very sad.  I will not forget how sad was my family, specially my grandmother who I had lived with since I was born.  I remember she told me while crying that she had a big pain in her heart because her little girl left Colombia to move to America for a better life and that I should follow and reach all my dreams of becoming a professional pilot. When I remember those words and I remember my grandmother, it makes me cry, because my grandmother is a very important person in my life. I also found a lot differences in this culture, like the food, because the food of my country Colombia is more natural. Additionally, living with my aunt was another big change, because she is a controlling person, I understand that she wants the best for my life but sometimes she needs to understand that I have a different style of life and different customs.
                One of the best things about coming to America was that here I can have more opportunities. For example, I can have a good future to have a better life so I can treat my mom like a queen. Moreover, the environment in America is a very challenging environment because here I live in a city and the life is very fast just like a lion running to catch a bite to eat. To conclude, In America I have a lot of new life experiences.  I am learning a new language and adapting to the American culture has been very hard, because before I had more time with my mom and now she has to work all the time and now is very sad for me that I don’t have too much time with her, now I look like a crazy prisoner in my home talking alone and going up and down the stairs missing my mom; even though she is with me in America, because of our new life, I don’t get to be with her as much.
To conclude, coming to America was always my wish, but now I understand that to have a better life you have sacrifice a-lot, like spending time with my mom, and leaving my grandmother alone in Colombia; that destroyed my heart.  However, all of these changes are for a better life for me and my family. Moreover, coming to this country is teaching me that you have to appreciate all that you have, especially your family because you don’t know what can happened tomorrow like what happened to me, one day I was in Colombia with my family and the next day I was in the United Stated starting to live a new life and new experiences.   

No comments:

Post a Comment